The strategy adopted for implementation of OFSDP centred on the following:
- Restoration of degraded forests, following the joint forest management approach i.e. active participation of the people in all project villages.
- Promotion of community / tribal development through convergence of development schemes.
- Enhancing capacity of participating communities and the forest department officers and other staff engaged in the project.
- Raising coastal shelter belt plantations and mangrove plantation modules.
- Bio-diversity management and promotion of eco-tourism through community participation.
- Accelerated income generation at village level through various income generating activities.
- Overall livelihood improvement of community in project villages.
- Capacity building of project stakeholders through training, demonstration and exposure visits.
- Adoption of modern techniques of scientific management for accelerated benefits through integrated development programmes.
- Effective dissemination of information through appropriate extension activities.
- Achieving convergence and synergy through co-ordination of activities of various agencies engaged in development of forestry sector.